Food donations brought to Sherwood Ford in November will be given to families in need this holiday season
Are you looking for ways to support your community this holiday season? You can help families in need around Strathcona county by donating to the Strathcona Food Bank this November. We’re collecting food donations here at Sherwood Ford to bring to the food bank. Keep reading below to learn about what you can donate.
What food items does the Strathcona Food Bank need?
We’re collecting non-perishable food items at Sherwood Ford. The food bank doesn’t accept homemade canned goods so please bring us store-bought, unopened non-perishables. The following food donations are requested.
- Canned fruit and fruit snack cups with no sugar added
- Fruit juice with no sugar added
- Ready-to-serve soup, chili, or stew
- Boxed macaroni and cheese
- Canned mushrooms and mixed vegetables
Who can get food from the Strathcona Food Bank?
To apply for a hamper from the Strathcona Food Bank, you will need to call them and tell them your name, address, monthly housing cost, household income, and the number of household members you have. You’ll need to bring in a picture ID, health card numbers for all household members, and a recent piece of mail. You can apply monthly for a hamper, and let them know if you have allergies, infants, pets, and whether you have a freezer.
How can you help families in need around Strathcona county?
There are many ways to support the families of our community. We’d love for you to bring a food donation to our dealership this month, but if you’re looking for other ways to help, consider one of the following:
- Provide gifts for families in need: Our toy drive is also happening in November, and we’re currently collecting gifts for the Strathcona Christmas Bureau to be distributed to families who can’t afford Christmas presents this year. Check out our recent blog to learn about how you can help.
- Volunteer your time: If you are unable to donate food or toys, you can give back by volunteering. If you have the time, volunteer at the Strathcona Christmas Bureau or the Strathcona Food Bank. Both organizations are non-profits that rely on the help of volunteers.
- Donate money: If you can, a monetary donation is one of the best ways to give back to the community. The Strathcona Food Bank and Strathcona Christmas Bureau have more information about financial donations on their websites.
- Check out our previous blog on places to donate around Edmonton for more options.
Partnering with Lakeland Ridge School
This food drive wouldn’t be possible without the students of Lakeland Ridge School. Food donations are also being collected at the school this month. We’d like to thank all of the students and educators who are helping out and making a difference in our community.